The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) has released the list of 100 highest taxpaying Filipinos for 2016 and the shocking list is what everyone is expected.
For the first time in Philippine history, the richest Philippine Senator with more than 1 billion-peso net worth settled only at number 10.
Manny Pacquiao, with a net worth of around P1.4 billion pesos reportedly paid P110 million, or 7.8% of his 2016 net worth.
In an unexpected turn of events, high profile activists and known social cancer dominated the list, with a combined tax paid of 1.2 billion pesos.
Here is the list of top 10 highest tax paying Filipinos for 2016
1. Renato Reyes – P187.2 million. The current secretary general of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) is a secret billionaire with a net worth of more than 1.6 billion pesos. Since Reyes has no registered business as source of income, it is not a big deal to the BIR since he is paying a handsome amount of tax. BIR does not care where the money comes from as long as Mr. Reyes pays his due.
2. Satur Ocampo – P162.4 million. The 77-year co-founder of National Democratic Front (NDF) surely made his wealth through promoting communism in the Philippines. Whether Ocampo’s earnings comes from NPA extortion activities or not, it doesn’t matter as long as he is giving a big share to the government.
3. Teodoro Casiño -P157.5 million. “Teddy” as called by many, is the one and only living former Party List Representative who truly made a fortune while serving the government. Teddy runs several businesses and pays good tax.
4. Etta Rosales – P142.7 million. The former DSWD secretary under the Aquino III administration made a pretty decent amount in the expense of Yolanda victims. The Aquino government doesn’t care whether Yolanda victims have shelters or not as long as Etta pays her taxes.
5. Liza Maza – P136.6 million. Activist and Gabriela leader Liza Maza is not what you think she is. She is the richest cabinet member of Pres. Rodrigo Duterte. Maza, a former Party List representative made millions through organizing rallies against different administrations.
6. Risa Hontiveros – P128.5 million. Manny Pacquiao is not the richest senator – Risa Hontiveros is. A self-confessed activist since six years old, no wonder why Hontiveros made billions of pesos. Surely there is money in activism.
7. Raisa Robles – P122.4 million. Robles has a distinction of not being a career activist in this list (above Pacquiao), but her book “Martial Law: Never Again”, made her a self-made billionaire after the book topped the New York Times bestseller for 9 months, selling more than 150 million copies worldwide.
8. Neri Colmenares -P 119.9 million. Human rights lawyer and activist Neri Colmenares surely made millions by organizing Bayan Muna – a communist-affiliated organization. The uncle of actress Angel Locsin is a multi-millionaire hailed from Bacolod.
9. Walden Bello – P113.5 million. Walden Bello spent most of his life outside the Philippines so he made only little amount of money compared to the people on top of the list. The communist member Bello allegedly benefited mostly from revolutionary tax collected by the New People’s Army.
10. Manny Pacquiao – P110 million. Pacquiao is the lone-non activist in this list. Although it is known to all Filipinos that Pacquiao is a billionaire, still he is dwarfed compared to the people above him.
Now that we know that activists are the people who paid bigger taxes, maybe we could also understand why they want to change how the government decides.
No wonder why the likes of Mr. Renato Reyes are very active in protesting against every decision made by the government since they joined activism years ago – at least they paid bigger taxes among others! /Clarence Soriano/Disclaimer: Contributed articles does not reflect the view of Okd2.com. This website cannot guarantee the legitimacy of some of the information contributed to us. You may do additional research if you find some information doubtful. No part of this article maybe reproduced without permission from this website.