The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has started investigating a shoot-out between bank robbers and police officers in a bank-robbing incident in Sta. Cruz, Laguna.
CHR said earlier that the shooting of downed suspect was considered “overkill” and police may face human rights violation.
Jacqueline de Quia, CHR regional director for the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), yesterday said her chief investigator is leading the probe.
Two suspects in shootout were killed, which the CHR is questioning the shootings after CCTV footage were released.
De Quia also urged police officers not to shoot if the suspect is already down, or he is running for his life. She did not suggest what to do instead.
“We are currently studying and evaluating the video footage of the CCTV camera that was shown to us by the media,” she told The STAR.
The slain suspects are still unidentified and no one has ever claimed their bodies yet.
Senior Superintendent Ronnie Montejo, Laguna police director, said they welcome the CHR probe.
Netizens are outraged about CHR’s investigation saying the agency is overacting. Comments on social media shows netizens support what police officers have done.
Pag criminal pinapaboran ng CHR, pero pag corrupt wala silang say, high profile blogger Levy Dequita told reporters on Friday.